Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The big 2-5

Okay ladies (I am currently not aware of any male readers), In less then 2 months I am turning 25. I have been having issues with it. Sometime in the last 24 years I have convinced myself that 25 is the official "adult" age and you are supposed to have everything figured out by then. I realize this is silly for many reasons. I also know that I have been an adult for a while and that I do have a lot more figured out then many people my age. I also know that I have so much to be thankful for and I truly do have a wonderful life. I still can't help but freak out about turning 25. There are just things I thought we would have accomplished at this point and things I thought I would have figured out that I just don't.

For example: I thought (hoped) that we would have bought a house by then. Well life happens and we just haven't. I also thought we would be living in Michigan. I thought I would have some great job that I at least liked. I also thought I would know exactly what I wanted to do. This is the list of things that I have not accomplished.

When I look at what I have accomplished the other list seems silly. I know. I have gotten my BS in psychology and my MA in community counseling. I am married. I have a puppy. I have my first new car. I have a wonderful family and good close friends. I have begun to get healthy again. I have a variety of counseling experience. I held my first full time counseling job. I even have a few ideas of where I want to end up career wise.

So I have two questions for everyone. If you have or are going to turn 25 how did you handle it? No big deal, major deal... were you where you hoped to be in life?

4 comments:

  1. I turned 25 with a Yankee game. I actually think 25 has been a good year, and got over my qualms once I turned 25. I think the whole growing up thing is what is intimidating - things have changed since we were 7 and thinking, oh gosh by 21 I'll be married and have 2 kids by 23 etc. You're a lot more grown up than I am and a year younger than me to boot - married, MA, new car, go you! Don't let the number get you down - you've accomplished a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I turn 25 in October and I am kind of scared, haha! My husband comes home around then and I will have just started my first job as an attorney and we will be house hunting. I just KNOW that our moms will be pressuring us to have babies ASAP. It is going to be a big year, for sure! (without the babies, we just don't have time yet!)

    You've already done a TON by 25. Way more than most people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My birthday in February was pretty anti-climactic. It might be because my husband is a few years older, or maybe because I still look younger than 21. At any rate, it came and went, and I'm still just as torn between "young adulthood" and "REAL adulthood" as I was before.

    Take the opportunity to celebrate all those milestones! You deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I turned 25 last sunday.I dont feel adult at all...grin!Maybe when I turn 30 I'll start thinking of myself as an adult.Or maybe when I decide to have a baby!Which is another two years away :)

    ReplyDelete