Monday, August 17, 2009

Chicken Pox

Okay, most of you have probably had this at one point in your life.

I have not. Or at least that we knew of until Saturday. When I first hired in at my job in a hospital setting 2 months ago they did blood work. Check for immunizations basically. I got my MMR when I was a child and I've had the Heb B series too. So, I was good on all of those. Chicken Pox on the other hand came back negative/susceptible. Meaning that I've really never had them. I have been exposed to them, my sister had them and I was on her like white on rice. I just never got them.

I called our employee health like I was instructed to and they would like me to get the 2 shot series. It's not required though. What do I do? Should I get the shot? What would you do? I'm torn, I realize it would prevent me from getting them (80%-90% prevention rate) but then again I've been exposed before and I never got them and I don't like to take unnecessary things.

So, I'd love you opinions. What would you do if you were me?

2 comments:

  1. Great questions.. Like you, I've never had the dreaded Pox, but working around immune-compromised patients all day long, my hospital required that I receive the vaccine before beginning work there. So, four years go, I received the original chicken pox vaccine. My titer was basically nine-tenths away from giving me "immune" status. Meaning, I'd had antibodies, meaning I was once exposed to the pox, but I don't have enough antibodies to thwart a full-on attack had I gotten the Pox later down the road. Does this make any sense?! Again, it's a super personal choice- I'd say go for it.. But, I also refuse to get the flu-vaccine, having NEVER had the flu in my entire life (knocks on wood)... So I can see where you're coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I know that CP acn be HORRIBLE as an adult. It's not like it's just a little nuisance like when you were a child. As an adult, you can get them all down the inside of your throat, and it coems with more sickness than just little bumps (like weakness, fever, chills, nightsweats, achiness, lots of meds, sometimes hospitalization).

    As horrible as I've seen it on an adult, I'd get it. No questions asked! But that's just me. In this case, there's no harm in getting the shots... but there is potential for real harm if you don't get them.

    Good luck! Hope whatever you choose you'll be happy with. :-)

    ReplyDelete