Thursday, September 10, 2009

We took the plunge!

To Verizon Fios that is. I signed us up last night. They will be here on Sunday to install. After asking around I have heard all good things. I just wish TV and internet didn't cost so much! But we are getting a DVR for free for 3 months. That will be fun. Now to cancel Comcast who I have disliked since they had a monopoly in my college town.

In other big life decisions...

I've been drooling over homes that are for sale online. When we first moved here 6 months ago we said we would buy after our lease was up. Then we started looking online and witnessed the crazy prices of homes on the east coast. (I also made the mistake of looking at what we could buy in Michigan for the same price and it makes me sick how much homes cost here!) We could have our dream home in Michigan. In Baltimore it would be more like a starter home for the same price.

About 2 months ago we said we would be okay with renting for a while. Especially since we hope to move back to Michigan in about 3.5 years. But, this week I have been dreaming again... I just don't know what to do. We would love to buy but don't have much of a down payment. The other thing is that we don't really want to be stuck with a house if we are able to move back in 3.5 years. Who knows what the market is going to do.

The other end of this is that it IS 3.5 years (at least) and could be more. It would be great to own our own place and have a little yard to hang out, let Moose play, and BBQ in. It would also be great not worry about a landlord or noisy neighbors. How have you all decided what works for you between renting and buying? I'm considering opening up this conversation with B again.

2 comments:

  1. Well, we LOVE owning! You'll always have nosy neigbors, but they'll be at a further proximity, so it makes it MUCH easier. But owning is a catch, too. You lose the stress of looming landlords and such, but you gain the "anything could happen and we're responsible" stress. I don't like worry all day every day about that, because life happens, but what works best for you will be whats better for you two. Does that make any sense?

    For some people, renting is easier and a better option. 3.5 years is a good long time. That's about how long we wanted to wait in our home before moving up, but you never know what will happen. AND with renting, if something breaks, you don't have to fix it.

    See... you could weigh either side. But what fits your lifestyle, now, the best. You can always shange your minds again later...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Michigan, and unfortunately we bought our house at the top of the "bubble", and now have lost considerable value. We want to move desperately (mostly because we hate our neighborhood), but we won't be buying a new house anytime soon. If anything, this recession has taught us that houses are NOT an investment anymore, so why risk losing your down payment plus all the equity you put in?

    Since we're not even sure if we can even sell our house for a decent price, we may just rent it out, and then become renters ourselves. Until we're in a place where we KNOW we'll be for 10+ years, I think we're very wary of buying a house again.

    My suggestion to you would be that if you are planning on leaving in under a years, just look for a house to rent - you'll get all the same amenities (yard, patio, etc...) but without the risk.

    Sucks that I'm so jaded now, but that's just how I feel :)

    ReplyDelete