Friday, September 11, 2009

Today I Remember

Today I'm taking time, like many of you, to remember 9/11 and all that it means to me and our country. I remember being a foolish child thinking that nothing as "cool" as the 60s/70s would happen in my generation. Never mind the fact that it was all around the war (I just wanted to be a hippie). Unfortunately I was proven wrong. 9/11 was a life changing event for my generation. It has changed our country.

It's that moment that you will always remember where you were when you heard what happened. Like when Kennedy was shot for our parents. I personally was in my senior year of high school. I had come out to my locker during class and ran into my best friend. She told me about that first plane. Even then I didn't fully understand what that meant. At first everyone thought it was an out of control plane. Then there was a second plane crash. It felt like a movie. All the teachers turned on the TV so we could all watch. A terrorist attack? Here? Unbelievable. I remember my dad saying how things would be different from now on. He was right. He said we would be going to war. He was right.

Today please think of all of those affected by 9/11. Those who lost their lives on the plane, in the buildings, in the area, and all those who came to help who lost their lives as well. Think of the families and friends who lost people to this event. Please also think of all those who have been wrongfully discriminated against since then because of the way they look or what nationality they are.

We Will Never Forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment